Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Case of the Mondays

I know I know....Its Tuesday and legions of you were all "What the Hell Newton?! I thought you were a blogger? You can't just take Monday off!! Your words are the new religion that guides us through the monotony of our daily lives"

Well, you're right. But yesterday was a day of rest and a day of mourning. Not only did I sleep very little all weekend, but on Monday I awoke cranky as all hell only to find out that two visionaries that helped shape me into the man I am today had passed away.

R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen and Irvin Kershner.

Leslie Nielsen was best known for his hilarious one liners in the Airplane movies, Police Squad television series, Naked Gun movies and most recently, Men with Brooms. He was Canadian, had two stars on walks of fame, and brought people to tears with laughter.

Irvin Kershner directed one of the most important tragedies of all time titled "The Empire Strikes Back" for which we are introduced to Imperial Walkers, Yoda, the betrayal of Lando Calrissian, Han's Carbon Freezing, and the line that kept us hanging in utter suspense for two more years....."I am your Father" followed by a rather dramatic "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Actually I was 2 when the movie came to theaters and apparently according to my own father I peed myself when Darth Vader entered the room to the music of the Imperial March. I also remember having the "Empire Strikes Back" childrens picture book that you read along with to a 7" vinyl record playing in the background and you turned the page when you heard the *chime*

A tribute....

Leslie Nielsen in a nutshell.



Oh the agony in Chewy's crys.....I still tear up.



Side note: Apparently in the carbon freezing scene, when Princess Leia declares her love for Han, the original script called for Han to pronounce is love back to her, but this didn't jive with the director Irvin Kershner and he fought with George Lucus to have it changed to the response that eventually made it to the final cut:

Leia: I love you
Han: I know

Genius.

A full report of the weekend to follow as soon as I can figure out how to connect Emma's camera thingy to this computron thingy.

No comments:

Post a Comment